1) Children will be checked at the start of the school year for signs of lice and/or nits, and as needed throughout the year.
2) Should an outbreak occur, classroom staff will check children as often as they deem reasonable and necessary to limit the spread of lice.
3) If lice and/or nits are believed to be seen, another staff person will be consulted for a second opinion.
4) If lice and/or nits are confirmed, the parent/guardian will be called to come and pick up the child. If no emergency contact person is able to be reached, the child may stay in school until the end of the day; however, staff will take precautions to limit physical contact between afflicted child and peers.
5) Due to the nature of typical preschool-aged interactions, the Department of Early Childhood maintains a nit-free policy. Before a child is able to return to school, the parent/guardian must bring the child to class to be checked before resuming normal attendance.